Did You Know Your Toilet Flushes More Than 5 Things Every Day?

Presse Santé

Some surfaces or objects are touched every day without knowing it and yet they are filled with bacteria.

For years you have been told that you can catch a cold by touching the doorknob and you have noticed that these are among the top 10 things. However, doorknobs, computer keyboards and your pet’s bowls are not among the top 5 things in your home with the most bacteria. Although a dirty toilet seat is obvious, scientists have found that the average toilet seat carries only 100 bacteria per square centimeter. It seems like a lot, but you will find that the following household items have many times more bacteria per cubic centimeter.

Kitchen sponge: bacteria bomb

Your kitchen sponge, with which you wash your dishes, is the dirtiest thing you have in the house. It carries 20 million bacteria per square centimeter or about 200,000 times more than your toilet seat, your kitchen sponge is a real hotel for 362 species of bacteria. In a study scientists analyzed 14 used sponges and found 45 billion microbes per square centimeter. Dishwashing sponges carry higher numbers of E. coli and other fecal bacteria than normal soil, because they are not filled as they should be. Many studies have confirmed that among other household items, kitchen sponges have the highest number of bacteria. Kitchen sponges are also a source of contamination in restaurants. In one study researchers collected 201 sponges from restaurants and assessed the total number of aerobic bacteria. They succeed in isolating Pseudomonas, bacilli, streptococci and lactobacilli and thus demonstrate insufficient cleaning practices regarding kitchen sponges.

Your cell phone: danger in your pocket

Scientists tend to think of cell phones as Petri dishes because they generate heat, live in the dark of your pockets, and often follow you to the bathroom. You probably don’t think about it when you take your phone everywhere you go, from the dinner table to your doctor’s office.

According to a study, adults look at their phones about 57 times a day, and thus provide many opportunities for living things to move from hand to phone.

Currently research is different about the number of germs on the cell phone, but one study found more than 17,000 copies of bacteria on the phones of high school students. Another study shows that the mobile phones of health professionals are a true reservoir of pathogenic germs, because they are rarely cleaned and touched during or after examining patients.

To reduce the number of bacteria you carry on your phone, leave it outside the toilet and remember to wash your hands regularly. You can also invest in a small ultraviolet light sanitizer to kill bacteria without heat or humidity.

How to clean your phone naturally

To clean your phone at home you don’t want to let it get cold to avoid damage. Avoid window cleaners, compressed air, bleach, hydrogen peroxide or abrasive powders. Follow these steps once a week to properly clean your phone and case.

  • Unplug the phone, disconnect all connections and turn it off. Remove the box or protective cover to clean separately.
  • Mix 1:1 ratio of 70% isopropyl alcohol and distilled water in a small bottle.
  • Spray it on a lint-free microfiber cloth. Do not spray directly on the phone and do not wet the cloth so as not to damage the electronic components. Dry the front and back of the phone.
  • If there is residue in small places like around the connector holes, buttons or camera, use a dry cotton swab or a toothpick and clean these areas lightly.
  • While the phone is in the air, clean the case. Both must be completely dry before installing the phone.

Wash your vegetables in the shower yes.. but wash the shower afterwards

In a study conducted by the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF), researchers found that the kitchen has the second highest concentration of microorganisms in the home.

In another study, researchers found more than 1,000 colonies that formed structures in a bathtub. According to the NSF it is important to clean and disinfect your sink once or twice a week and to flush the pipes and drain once a month.

Start by removing soap stains, carpets, rust and water stains by washing with baking soda. You can destroy germs in your shower by running hot water and vinegar or vodka down the drain. White vinegar is made from acetic acid and is a powerful cleaner that attacks grease and removes mold and stains.

Antibacterial essential oils

Essential oils also have many medicinal properties such as strong antibacterial properties.

Some essential oils added to vodka in a spray bottle can also increase the action on rust, mold and unpleasant odors.

In particular the essential oils Tea tree, citronella, lemongrass, orange and Patchouli help fight bacteria. Once a week fill your sink with hot water, vodka or vinegar, then quickly pull out the valve to flush your waste pipes.

Cutting board:

Cutting boards are another enemy when it comes to harvesting dangerous bacteria.

Experts recommend having at least two cutting boards, one for anything that is dangerous to eat, such as fruit and vegetables, and a second for cutting dry meat and fish. This avoids the transfer of bacteria. The surfaces you cut your food on can carry bacteria including E. coli and salmonella. Since plastic cutting boards are easy to sterilize, you would think they are safe. Wood can be more difficult to sterilize, but it is more resistant to scratches. We recommend that you wash your cutting board in hot, soapy water after each use and air dry before storing.

Remote controls: bacteria, fungi, and sataphylo on the system

Your remote control is also protected against bacteria, mold and staphylococcus aureus which can cause infections. And if you don’t clean your remotes, chances are your hotel won’t either. A total of 67.7 units of bacterial colonies per square centimeter were found on remote controls in hotels, which is 13 times the acceptable level recommended for hospitals.

To clean your remote control and avoid damaging its electronic components, use the same method for your telephone.

Homemade cleaners are more effective and safer

Non-toxic cleaners are more effective and safer than over-the-counter chemical products. Sprays, wipes and abrasives often add toxins to your home instead of removing them. These chemicals can irritate the eyes, nose and throat and in the long term they can damage the liver, kidneys and central nervous system. You may not know what toxic chemicals are in over-the-counter cleaners because you don’t have to list all the chemicals on the label. Even products with a green, natural or organic label may contain harmful contaminants.

As mentioned above, some essential oils have strong antibacterial properties and add a pleasant fragrance to your collection of natural cleaners.

* blokus strives to spread health knowledge in a language accessible to all. IN NO EVENT, THE INFORMATION GIVEN CANNOT REPLACE THE OPINION OF A HEALTH PROFESSIONAL.
Scroll to Top